What makes a room a sanctuary? Is it the right colour scheme, the décor style, the coordinated accessories? Is it the personal touches that come from souvenirs, artwork or photos? Decorating a French style bedroom and figuring out these details can be such a fun project - but it can also be an intimidating one. Fortunately, there's no reason for you to do it alone. We’ve asked our expert bedroom stylists to share their top 7 decorating tips and tricks for bedrooms.
When we think of bedrooms, we think of the heart of your home - a place of rest, relaxation, and tranquillity. When decorating a bedroom, start with the core pieces of furniture, then consider the smaller items, and finally textiles and accessories. These last elements are the most versatile; they can be swapped out for different occasions or seasons. The starting point is always the star of the space: that luxurious French bed.
1. Start With The Bed
Your bed is the centrepiece to your boudoir, so it's important to choose one that exudes elegance, sophistication, and warmth. It's the main focal point; the masterpiece; that first stamp of luxury for your breath-taking bedroom. Whether your style is classic or contemporary, rustic or royal, there is a beautiful French style bed for you.
2. Measure, Measure, and Measure Again
If you have a dream of owning a grand French armoire or a luxurious emperor sized bed, we’re with you! As well as being aesthetically beautiful, there’s nothing like stretching out on a vast canvas of space with an emperor bed – 7ft of space, to be precise! To avoid disappointment, measure, measure, and measure again. Key points are your doorway and stairway, to make sure there is sufficient access for the full base of the bed, or the widest point of the armoire, as many of our armoires can only be delivered to the ground floor.
3. Let There Be Light
Lighting is more than just illumination; it can transform a room. For a calm and cosy mood, choose softly-lit side lamps that will cast a soothing, warm glow. In a space for entertaining and living, a statement French chandelier will create vibrancy, not to mention decades worth of compliments.
4. When In Doubt, Wallpaper (or Paint)
Never underestimate the power of a statement wall to add luxury, colour and freshness to a room. Give new life to a room with a fresh coat of paint , or choose a conversation-topic wallpaper pattern to really entertain guests.
5. Invest In Soft Furnishings
We are firm believers that you can never have too many cushions. Or throws. Or bed linen. Have fun playing with accessories in textures of cotton, velvet, and silk. A variety of materials bring layers of interest to neutral decors. If you’re a fan of bright colours, it’s a versatile and inexpensive way to show off your flair for the dramatic.
6. Trust Your Instincts (Buy Once)
Don’t settle. If you have your heart set on a piece, go for it - you're not going to treasure it forever if you have to talk yourself into liking it. And a more economical substitute won’t be as satisfying in terms of style or quality.
7. Have Fun With It
Interior decorating can seem daunting, but it shouldn’t be stressful! What is more fun than making your home beautiful?
We're Here To Help
Need some styling advice for your bedroom? We’re here to help, every step of the way. The French Bedroom stylists take pride in being as helpful as possible. Whether you're at your first draft or deciding on the finishing touches, get in touch for some personalised styling advice from our bedroom experts, and we'll help take you from mood board to moved in.
Follow these easy steps to receive your personalised mood board:
- Take some photos of your bedroom, either empty or furnished. (Natural daylight is the best light in which to view a room, to show its truest colours and size.)
- Think about how you’d like to feel when you spend time in your bedroom. What best describes your personal style? For example: Warm, spacious, classic. Luxurious, opulent, sensual. Feminine, elegant, light.
- Take a few moments to consider which functions you need in this space. (Apart from a blissful night's sleep, of course!) Will you also need a dressing area, or natural light for morning make-up? How about a reading nook, or a corner for your partner or children to sit and talk with you? Is there a four-legged family member in need of a dedicated space?
- Send us your photos and answers to these questions to [email protected], and ask to book in for your one-to-one consultation with one of our experienced bedroom stylists. We will make custom mood boards for your vision, and take you through our thinking.